sunnuntai 29. marraskuuta 2015

Islay Sour

ISLAY SOUR

What would Ron Swanson do?
Heya guys! It's been a long time since my last update! So why not continue by making an interesting cocktail that uses one ingredient that most people would find horrifying if used in a mixed drink! I present you the Islay Sour!

The story so far; I found out about this in a portfolio made by Diageo. In its "perfect serve" there was this peculiar one there. A typical sour, yes, but with Laga-fucking-vulin 16yo? It had to be done...so I made it by using their recipe and here's how YOU can do it at home:
  • 4 cl Lagavulin 16yo
  • 3 cl lemon juice
  • 2 cl simple syrup (1:1)
  • 2 dashes angostura bitters
  • 1 egg white (fresh!)
Although the recipe calls for ice shaking all right away, I would still dry-shake first, then add ice and finally shake again. Double straining as usual.

The looks is great, a beautiful peachy color and velvety texture. Taste-wise, the citrus dominated a bit and I was hoping for more "oompf" from the whisky, the Lagavulin did give a nice kick in the end though with its sweet peatiness. What I would nonetheless do, is alter the recipe just a tad should I ever do it again:
  • 5 cl Lagavulin 16yo
  • 2 cl lemon
  • 2 cl syrup
  • 2 dashed bitters
  • 1 egg white
In its essence, give the drink more its need power and lessen the citrus-y notes.

The cocktail itself was quite the experiment and in my opinion, one of those drinks you can really try if feeling courageous :) 



Here's the same drink made on video (in Finnish!)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti