lauantai 23. tammikuuta 2016

Smoky Rum Old Fashioned

SMOKY RUM OLD FASHIONED

As per Waldo Smit
A good weekend to everyone! Today I've "exited" my comfort area to make something completely different. I introduce you the Smoky Rum Old Fashioned.

I stumbled upon this recipe (or video to be honest) by accident. I checked it out, fancied it and thought to myself "I might as well give it a go!" I pretty much had everything except for the lapsang souchong tea needed. Yesterday I found a store that had it and I immediately bought a pack. Let's get ready to business!
  • 6 cl spicy rum
  • 1.5 cl smoky simple syrup
  • 4d orange bitters
  • cinnamon + star anise + grated nutmeg
  • a glass jar
  • an orange wheel + star anise for the garnish
  • a kitchen blowtorch
The video will pretty much explain the whole process how to make it and I won't be going through it namely because it would take a small life time to explain the same thing the original author did in a tad over 1 minute 30 seconds. So I'll just skip ahead and review the cocktail. Before that though, I would consider this cocktail a somewhat "special occasion" drink, since...

First of all, effort. This cocktail takes some. Secondly, the effort is rewarded in the end by its flavor profile. Thirdly, but not lastly, choosing a good rum will work wonders here. I noticed the author used Sailor Jerry, I instead went for El Dorado 15yo. For me (+ the 4d's of orange bitters), it was a bit too fruity. Could also be that I didn't smoke the dried spices enough. The cocktail itself was still complex as f**k and when the opportunity arises, I shall make another one of these beauties! 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti