maanantai 21. maaliskuuta 2016

A Glassful of BBQ

A GLASSFUL OF BBQ

Hardy's stand
Hello everyone! Last Wednesday I got to be part of something completely unique! Before explaining where I was and what I experienced, let's roll the tape a few weeks back. We don't want to make this story a short one. 

So ~two weeks ago, as I was in Istanbul with my family, I got an email (yeah who reads their emails during vacations?!) from a lady who asked if I was interested in this "Glassful goes BBQ" - event on the 16th (March). While I had no idea what it was all about, I inquired some more information of said event while asking my boss if I could get the day off.

Now what happened next was deeply touching. She replied that a mixologist called Kim Rantanen suggested that I could be interested in this thing. Now those who don't know who he is, this guy was the restaurant manager at Tampere's literally only cocktail bar and now works for Stolichnaya vodka. He knows his shit. So getting "a recommendation" from this guy, that's a Biggie, with a capital B. Moreover, I was invited to be there as a blogger, which totally blew my mind :D 

That moment was one of those...moments when I thought to myself "man isn't this nice! I'm getting somewhere :D" 

Bushmills and Kraken rum
So heck yeah did I go there! As for the event and its name "Glassful goes BBQ", as much as it was pointed to our national alcohol retailer's staff (new wines/products for the upcoming summer), I didn't mind that at all. It was nice having professional ambassadors for [insert wine/product here] to tell about their newest articles that hit the shops within the few months (or those which already are there).

Rosé wines
I was overly excited. I even brought the system camera with me just to realize it was going to be too bulky for taking pictures (and sipping wines while at it), so I ended up taking pictures with my phone. I'll let it slide this time.

So what was the concept of this event? As summer is knocking its way to Finland, the BBQ season starts as well. Testing different types of wines with different types of BBQ - foods and especially trying wines (be it red or white) that isn't necessarily thought to "match". A classy example, red meat pairs with red, so why not try a (matching) white instead? So-called "leaving our comfort zone" for that matter and trying new wild things.

More wine
The event lasted four hours, in which I got to sample a whole range of reds, whites, sparkling ones, dessert wines and of course different types of food that are the next big thing in the summer season.

A very asian-themed BBQ setting


Mix & match
Beef, sweet potato chips, chicken, halloumi cheese, coleslaw (with wasabi, was PRISTINE) and a few different dips/sauces with a combination of wines was indeed a truly good learning experience. Not to mention the dessert!

(salty) liquorice and white wine
Now this was a fun little combo right there! Pairing liquorice with a sweet-ish white wine, absolutely amazing and honestly, never would've thought of that.

As the evening went on, after a few hours they opened the "bar". A mixologist showed us the "new" trends for this summer; pitcher drinks and how to make good ones. Fresh flavors and a whole lot of it! E.g. Stoli Lemonade (stoli vodka, strawberry flavored syrup for the soda streamer, fresh lime juice and simple syrup), a Kraken Storm (A cocktail I've also made ~8 months ago :D), a Bushmills Sour (Bushmills, vanilla syrup, lime juice and topped with non-alcoholic wheat beer; reminded me slightly of the Vanilla Daisy I made awhile back!) and also sampling Stoli Vanilla and Stoli Elit (smoooooth as can be)

Working his magic


Pitcher drinks


I got to say, I loved the small milk glasses in which he made the Kraken Storms!

Pardon the poor picture quality, but the drink looks just like it should!

Around 22:00 the event came to an end. I personally thanked the lady who sent me the invitation (was also one of the wine presenters (Hardy's)) and explained how extremely glad I was to be there.

It was a satisfying evening altogether! And I'm not talking only about the food/drink but overall: the people, presenters, atmosphere and being there as a blogger and how I ended up in there in the first place. Just a wild story for me to gladly reminisce later on.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti