keskiviikko 16. huhtikuuta 2014

Kicking ass and sampling whiskies...and I'm all out of whisky.

Kicking ass and sampling whiskies...and I'm all out of whisky.


Hello again! It's been quite a while since my last post and there's an excellent reason for it; personal laziness. For some reason I haven't found the inner inspiration for creating cocktails. May it be my new "life rhythm" (read: night shift) or something else but the art of cocktail mixing has been more of a "plan B" in my current life situation.

Nonetheless, my New Year's Resolution is going as intended. Yesterday I met a good friend of mine, with whom I went to sample some whiskies. Truth to be told, this activity is way more fun doing with someone rather than alone. Our samples were:
  • Ballantines (blend)
  • Ballantines 12yo (blend)
  • Jameson (blend)
  • Jameson 12yo (blend)
Without going too much into the details and one's preference with using water, I must say that I've never experienced a whisky turning worse after adding water to it! Now I have. The Jameson (blend), which in its essence was (is) a poor quality product. I do understand its use in the (in)famous Irish Coffee but as a whiskey it tanked, horribly. I must say the Jameson 12yo was quite the pleasant surprise!

Moving on forward! After our nice tasting we headed to the billiards/bowling alley. We first played a couple of friendly matches but then my bro suggested we should play a tournament:

"Best out of three in a game of billiards, bowling and air hockey."

"Challenge accepted."



(what the fudge should I hit next?)

How lucky skillfully I played and beat my friend 2-1 in billiards! (actually he lost 1-2, both games due to horrible fouls [1st one he touched the 8-ball and pocketed it (!) making my end-game an easy win] and the second game he pocketed the 8-ball and the cue ball both (in the wrong pocket as well)). The look on his face when facing defeat...priceless.

Second game, bowling. He beat the first game 108-89 (yeah we're not pros who knock out 300's as we please :D), I won the second game 83-121 and in the third and decisive game after the 10th frame he was leading me 100 to 91. I managed to knock down 8 pins on my first. Two pins left, one point behind. If I get both, I get a spare, an extra round and (likely) win. I didn't; I only managed to get one so the game was a tie, 100-100! So we played one extra round and I reigned supreme, winning the bowling game 100-123 and ultimately 1-2!


Finally, some air hockey. This is the game where the master would be decided. My friend won the first 9-8. I won the second game...something-9.

Final game. No space for any mistakes. He was leading 8-7 when I got to tie up the game. 8-8 and I had the puck. I could see him move his mallet left and right vigorously right in front of his goal. A well-timed and aimed diagonal shot, which ricochet straight in! Game-set-match!  


(Air hockey is serious business, I managed to get a burn (?) wound...??)

I beat my friend 3-0 in the tournament, leaving no questions who is the champion! (I am)

All in all, I had a great evening. Tasted some whiskies and got my mind off in a relaxing competitive great tournament playing with my friend.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti