sunnuntai 22. kesäkuuta 2014

Midsummer magic

MIDSUMMER MAGIC

"Typical" midsummer weather, hail, hail everywhere
A great Sunday...day to each and every one! This weekend has been very special in so many ways! Yesterday we Finns celebrated Midsummer. Food, drink, sauna, friends. What could possibly go wrong? Well, bad weather, but that didn't stop us! Last year I had a bunch of friends come over and we pretty much did all of the above. This year I had two of my siblings (older brother/sister) and while enjoying drinks and BBQ food, we also watched some football (the World Cup 2014 in Brazil).

But before we get to the drinks part, I had a reader come up with a question:

"By the way, have you ever ordered beers or spirits from any online store? Could you share your thoughts on that with us."

The answer is: I have now (and got lucky with the delivery just before the holidays). First things first; the matter seems very complicated for me to describe here because all of the regulations involved when handling alcohol. BUT in the EU there's a little something called free trade. Secondly, the Finnish authorities (customs) try to scare us Finns not to order alcohol online since for some reason they deem it illegal. I still don't understand.

Nonetheless, I made an online order from a German site, where you can buy almost everything.

"...the Gourmet dispatcher for delicatessens, gourmet, wine and good groceries since 2002."

I won't argue with that. I placed the order on the 5th of June (just before our trip to Bremen), unfortunately they didn't have one of the rums I ordered after all so the final order got shipped on the 13th of June i.e. one week later. A few days later I got the delivery company's tracking number and how grateful I am a friend of mine helped a brother out to pick up the package from the post office (I was at work when the home delivery guy rang the door bell) later that day (Thursday 19th):


The complete list of what I ordered:
  • Glenfiddich 12yo
  • Glenfiddich 18yo
  • Pyrat XO rum
  • Kraken rum
  • Maker's Mark bourbon
  • 12 bottles of Bionade - soft drink
  • 6 bottles of Fritz - soft drink try set
  • 1 bottle of vinho verde white wine (for a friend)
In total (products+delivery) these costs ~170€. In comparison to the Finnish alcohol retailer, the Glenfiddich bottles + bourbon alone would've costs over 180€. A huge save there already (I got the bourbon 50% cheaper from Germany).

So to answer the question "Could you share your thoughts on that with us." I will say it was effing awesome and worked like a charm (despite the tad lengthier wait and the exciting wait should the delivery make it before Midsummer).

MAGIC


Of course with my siblings over and the grill ready for some delicious meats, I had my hands full creating cocktails for my guests. This time I stuck more to the "classical" line and towards the "night" I made easier (liquor+mixer) type of drinks. So right after I got back from work on Friday early evening, I took out the mint I had gathered earlier that morning and made three different styles of Mojitos.


From left to right: A classic Mojito, a Kraken Mojito and a Xanté Mojito. 


Caipirinha time!!


During the first game I made three different style champagne cocktails. The French 75, Classic champagne cocktail and Champagne cocktail Shaker style.

In addition to those, I then made numerous Cuba Libres, Whisky&Cokes and so forth, whatever I saw fit when looking at my cabinet. Though outside it was still pretty cold. Hot Toddy's, anyone?


And of course, a delicious cold evening dessert drink, the Minttukaakao.


These were pretty much drinks from the first evening I took pictures of. Yesterday I again made a few drinks and together (me & Henna & my sister) gathered around to see the Germany - Ghana soccer game:

Tequila Sunrise
Daquiri made with the new Pyrat XO rum I got
A Watermelon drink made with watermelon, watermelon liqueur, triple sec, vodka, a dash of Midori, lime juice and Sprite
I got to say, despite the shitty (pardon my French) weather, I had a super fun Midsummer weekend with my family! What's left now is the pile of dishes, food in the fridge and taking it easy for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow I will go and donate blood so I won't be having any drinks tonight.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti